Forage and Silage Samplers
All Star Quality forage samplers feature stainless steel coring probes and our revolutionary Star cutting tip design. Samplers are available in push-type or drill-driven models. All samplers come with a core clearing rod and cutting tip protective endcap. See Technical page for cutting tip resharpening instructions.
Star Multi-Forage Samplers
Excellent tools for obtaining representative core samples for laboratory analyses. Star Multi-Forage Samplers take a ½" (13 mm) core and allow for continuous sampling of 20 bales or more to provide a composite sample which is collected in a canister/sampling container.
Push-type ABS Multi-Forage Samplers
- ABS 16" (40 cm) length stainless steel probe with Star Cutting Tip.
- Cores probed fall into attached plastic bag (Bags not included).
3" (8 cm) Canister
4" (10 cm) Canister
SLIM PVC Multi-Forage Sampler
- Light-weight push-type sampler for occasional use.
- 14" (36 cm) stainless steel probe with Star Cutting Tip.
- Canister holds 12 - 15 core samples.
- Probe can be stored within collection canister for easy transport and protection (wrench required).
Drill-Driven Aluminum Canister Multi-Forage Sampler
- Quick release aluminum canister holds up to 1 litre of material.
- 16" (40 cm) stainless steel probe with Star Cutting Tip and spiral-assist.
- For use with standard 1/2" (13 mm) cordless drill (18 volt minimum recommended).
Star Uni-Forage Samplers
An excellent tool for rapid visual inspection of forages. When used to collect a sample to submit for lab analyses, you will end up with a larger sample than the lab wants if you take the recommended minimum 15-20 samples per lot of forage. Be sure to sub-sample properly to get a representative sample. (This is described in our TECHNICAL section.) Samplers feature stainless steel tubing and the original Star Cutting Tips. Uni-Forage samplers provide a 7/8" (22 mm) core sample and can be custom built up to 5' (152 cm) in length.Available in manual T-handle, manual crank handle and drill-driven models.
Push Type Uni-Forage Sampler
- Light weight T-handle with quick-release cotter pin for easy collection of sample.
- Standard 18" (46 cm) probe length [can be custom built up to 60" (152 cm)].
- Features the replaceable Star Cutting Tip.
Drill-Driven Spiral-Assist Uni-Forage Sampler
- For rapid and efficient sampling with cordless drills.
- Features Star's unique sprial-assist probe for coring ease and the replaceable Star Cutting Tip.
- Standard 18" (45 cm) probe length (can be custom built up to 60" (152 cm)).
- "1/2" (13mm) drill attachment is standard. (3/8" [10mm] drill attachment available on request.)
New Quick Attach Pin for UNI drill-driven Samplers
- insert the pin through the holes in probe and wrap the webbing around the probe. Velcro keeps it in place.
- The Quick Attach Pin is very safe with no rotating sharp points to catch on clothing or skin.
- Requires significantly less effort than the T-handle without requiring a drill.
- Can be used on any UNI sampler with or without spiral assist. It uses the same quick attachment as the T-handle Uni or the drill-driven Uni
- Has 2 hand holds for control and comfort. You can push with your body as well.
- It is 21" (53 cm) long so it does require more room than the T-handle.
Star Universal Forage Sampler
Although originally designed for silage sampling, it works great for high density bales as well as regular round or square dry bales, hence the name UNIVERSAL. It uses the Star 7/8" (22 mm) cutting tip. The probe has a larger ID to reduce the friction of the sample inside. This makes for easy removal of most samples.*
Each Universal sampler comes with a plastic push-out rod (with hand protector), drill attachment for 1/2"(13 mm) drill and T-handle set screw wrench.
Built strong to handle the high torque required for deep sampling.
Spiral assist helps pull the sampler in and push it out of the forage reducing operator fatigue.
Extensions 39" (1 m) long can be added to take samples from as deep as you need. Internal set screws are used to connect extensions securely together with nothing protruding to catch on the forage being sampled. The set screws have built-in stops to prevent them from being accidentally turned in or out too far. (The set screws can be removed for cleaning, if necessary.)
The Universal sampler can be purchased individually or as part of a kit. In addition to the UNIVERSAL sampler, the kits contain as many extensions as you want plus a carrying case. The kits include a carrying case, a crank handle that can be used to remove the sampler if your drill runs out of power and a spare Star cutting tip.
*Because this sampler is used on many different forages of varying moisture contents, we recommend you first try taking a sample of about 20" (50cm). If it is easy to remove that sample, you can then try deeper samples as long as you can remove them easily. Take particular care if you are dealing with a forage that has a high resin content or leaves a sticky residue.
Star Cutting Tip
The Star Cutting Tip's unique design uses a wave-like serrated cutting edge for clean, clog-free coring through stems, leaves and buds. Constructed of hardened 4340 steel alloy to optimize cutting edge sharpness and durability, the Star cutting tip design has revolutionized forage sampling. The probe with cutting tip attached can be replaced if necessary.
The replaceable Star Cutting Tip fits any standard 1 1/8" forage probe including the Penn State sampler.
Cutting tips on our Multi-Forage Samplers also have the serrated wave-like cutting design. The cutting edge can be resharpened and is replaceable as a cutting tip and probe unit.
Star Spiral Assist
- Standard feature on all Star drill-driven forage samplers
- Provides quicker coring with ease and efficiency
- Extends life of cutting tip edge and drill battery